"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Farmers market trip

The roomies and I decided to wake up early this morning (8:45 on a Saturday...we aren't real college students) and visit a local farmers market.  We found it through Local Harvest, which is a very cool (reader recommended) website for finding farmers markets near you.

The plan for this evening is zucchini pie (I actually have a recipe for you!  You will enjoy it.)  Remembering my depressing Walmart zucchini, I knew that would be on my list for the market.

When we pulled up at around 10:30, it was cold and drizzling, but still fairly crowded.  We were definitely the youngest customers there, but there were plenty of young people shopping and running the stands.  There was a wide assortment of products-- the standard fruits and vegetables, but also all kinds of baked goods, some jam, and raw honey, which we got to sample and was delicious.

Blurring faces makes me feel like a secret agent...

I got my zucchini from Canticle Farms, which is a local farm that students from my school volunteer at or something.  Honestly, I'm not sure what the affiliation is, but there definitely is one, so we thought we should support it.

Watch Canticle Farms turn out to be some terrible cover-up that we gave our money to.

I got normal zucchini for the pie, and also decided to try an italian variety that is apparently crunchier.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Look how pretty!

I got some blueberries and strawberry rhubarb jam, too.  Yum.  I spent $10 for all of it.

The fruits of our trip!

It was a really fun trip.  I'll let you know later how it all tastes, but I think it's gonna be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment