"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Super easy potato corn chowder

It's getting cold in Western New York, which means all I want to eat is hot comfort food.  One of my favorite things is potato corn chowder, because it's really not too unhealthy ( I think) and it is about the easiest thing ever to make.

You will need:
Instant mashed potatoes
Whatever those call for (mine needed water, milk and margarine)
Canned corn
Salt and pepper and whatever else you want

This whole recipe is kind of play it by ear.

First, make the mashed potatoes in a pot according to the box.

I may have overestimated my mashed potato needs this year.

I know some of you mashed potato snobs might not like my use of instant mashed potatoes, and normally I'm not into plugging brands, but the Idahoan mashed potatoes are legit.  They taste really creamy and not flaky.  I love them.

Once your potatoes are done, mix in some corn with the liquid.  The amount of corn depends on the amount of potatoes you made.  I only made two servings of mashed potatoes, so I used less than half of the can, but if you made enough for a family you'd probably want to use the whole thing.

This is where it gets a little sketchy.  Add water or milk until the soup is the thickness you want it to be.  Mine got a little watery, so I added some more potatoes.  It really depends on whether you like a thick soup or a thin soup.

Season the soup with salt and pepper and whatever else you feel like.  I had mine with salad and italian bread.

And diet A&W, beverage of champions.

Delicious, fast and comforting as shit.

2 comments:

  1. Can we make this soon? And by "we," I mean you make it for me and serve it to me on a silver platter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, that's the only way you can eat.

    ReplyDelete