"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The biggest shopping trip EVER

Today was my first full day in my new apartment.  It's really sweet.  I've got my own room, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a living room, and, most importantly to you, my dear reader, a kitchenette.

Moving in was a little rough.  I still haven't unpacked everything.  My room at home is a mess though, so I'm pretty good at climbing over stuff and ignoring it.

Today, the roommates and I took a trip to Walmart.  My parents gave me a really generous food allowance for every month, and I had this secret plan to spend just a little bit of money and then save up the rest for some undetermined money-related goal (taking a bath in it is the current front-runner.)  Of course, that was until after I dropped $87 at Walmart and remembered that I probably couldn't get away with spending $5 a week on food (that's a blog project for someone who likes eating WAY less than me.)  I needed some apartment stuff, so it's not like I bought $87 worth of food, but still.

Our only other grocery option in this town is the Tops, which is more expensive, but probably worth it when it comes to produce.

That is some sadsack zucchini.

I was trolling around with my cookbook with the plan for vegetable stew.  I ended up skipping the eggplant because it looked sadder than the zucchini, and adding some other veggies I thought would be good.  When we got home, I decided to try out the crock pot and mostly follow the recipe.  Today's post is brought to you by The Vegetarian Slow Cooker.

All my cookbooks were purchased for under $3 on half.com, because I am cheap.

I don't know how legal it would be for me to post the recipe online.  Until I get that straightened out, I'm just gonna show you a picture of my ingredients and let you have an adventure.

Actually, I didn't use the flour.  That is a trick only people who read captions know about.
Also there was an onion involved.

It took awhile to sauté the vegetables, because our only skillets are about the size of a single pancake.  I did it in two rounds.  The first round took forever, but during the second round I kept myself occupied with the fact that my new crockpot wasn't working.  After trying a bunch of different outlets, I realized that the dial was between two settings.  Then I burnt my hand a few minutes later making sure it really was hot.  Awesome.

Whattup we are vegetables in a pan.

Whattup I'm a temperamental bitch.

I cooked it on high for about four hours and we ate it over noodles.  The vegetarian roommate and the mostly vegetarian manfriend both approved.

Everyone else ate chicken.
Whatever.

The best part?  A big container of leftovers.  Mama's gonna eat tasty stew all week.

Get in mah belleh!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! It's Cinnamon's Becky (Becky2 that is). So check this, I have "the Star Wars Cookbook" if you care to borrow. Also, there are other grocery store options in town, and until October or so, there's a farmer's market by the mall on Saturdays. WAY better produce than Mall-Wart, and organic grain fed meat available too if you *really* want something awesome. Did not realize until that Facebook post that you are a foodie. :D

    ReplyDelete