"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Emilys have a little Oscar party.

I love the Oscars.

The Academy Awards are a magical night where every celebrity I love looks as beautiful as possible and all crowd together in one big room for me to look at them.  It is also the night when I find out which of my imaginary boyfriends are cheating on me.

Why won't you love me???
Think of our thick-haired children!!!


Anyway, my friend Emily is one of the few people who loves celebrities as much as I do.  Mainly because (if you can remember from the gingerbread house post) we are the same person.

We decided at the last minute to have a little Oscar party, so I made an easy, delicious appetizer.  You can make it too!  All you need is phyllo dough, spinach and artichoke dip, and butter.

BLANKET'S DELICIOUS SPINACH PUFFS!

Cut your phyllo into strips.

Easy enough so far!

Take a single strip and brush each side with melted butter.

Just in case you don't understand brushing.

Put a little lump of dip at the top of the strip, a-like so.

You could even make the dip, if you weren't lazy like me.

Fold the top corner down into a triangle--

Alright, we're getting complicated here.  Slow down.

Then keep folding it down until you just have a little triangular puff.

Woah!

It takes a little while, but then you end up with this.  I garnished them with a little parmesan.

Oooh la la!

I brought the baking sheet to Emily's house, where I cooked it at 375ยบ until they were golden brown.  It took about 5 minutes, but keep an eye on them.

Now that looks fancier than it is!

Emily also had an extra home-made ice cream cake she had made for her daughter's birthday, and she made punch.  Another easy recipe--


EMILY'S TASTY CREAMSICLE PUNCH

A bottle of ginger ale

Vanilla ice cream

A can of orange juice concentrate

Something else I'm forgetting.  Maybe.  Emily, help!


Emily's husband had to go get us ginger ale, because we discovered that her children had drunk just about all the ginger ale she had.  She was thrilled.

Clearly.

Altogether, we had a classy little spread and a nice oscar party.

We ate it all.  Whatever.

The night's biggest upset?  Andrew Garfield not confessing his undying love for me.  Or James Franco.  Or Matt Damon.

BUT WHATEVER I DON'T EVEN CARE.

3 comments:

  1. What kinda dip do you fill 'em with? I'm thinking some kinds spinach/artichoke thing would be good... Then you fold 'em like a paper football! (Or a flag, if you learned how to fold a flag that was in Boy Scouts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used spinach and artichoke dip from Sam's Club. The cheese melted and it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, that's all the ingredients for the punch. Super easy. You get a little better color/flavor with Orange Sherbet. You can use any flavor of sherbet actually, but if you use the Twisted Cactus flavor your punch will be the exact same color and consistancy was Pepto Bismol. It will still taste good though.

    My husband has always told me that when I make my mean mother face I look exactly like Ben from Lost. I fail to see the resemblance.

    ReplyDelete