"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Monday, January 17, 2011

Operation: Blanket's Bangin' Bod

Something you may have gathered from reading my blog is that I am not the healthiest eater.  And that "not the healthiest eater" is a gross understatement.

I eat crap.  Tasty crap, but crap.

I really do like vegetables and all that, I just prefer them...you know...fried or on a frozen pizza.

NO MÁS!

(Do you like that I was dedicated enough to make the accent but not figure out the upside down exclamation point?  That's the type of mediocrity that will sail me straight to the middle!)

I have a life plan to get skinny again.  I'm really not all that fat for all the junk I eat, but I'm definitely not strutting around in a bikini any time soon.  Except I will be, because I'ma get bangin'.

My plan has several facets that, ideally, will create a prism that confuses my terrible will power into sticking around for awhile.  I have my exercise calendar (with a system of awesome rewards every 2 weeks), my friends and I might join a fitness program at school, and I'm making healthier food.

Without further ado-- Lentil soup.

I altered this recipe for poorness/impatience.  Here is my version.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb lentils
8 cups water
4 diced celery ribs
4 chopped carrots
1/2 onion, diced
3 chopped cloves of garlic
14 oz can diced tomatoes
Oregano, salt, and pepper

Put it all in a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10.

Guess what I wear as a hat?  A lentil.

I love lentils.  They are cheap, healthy, filling, and delicious.  They are also high in protein, which is good for my vegetarianness.

When I still thought I was a champ.

Embarrassing: I cut my finger chopping my onion.  Kind of badly.  I just feel like such a dumbass when I cut myself cooking.  I'm fine, just annoyed.

Also injured: my ego.

The soup cooked up really nicely and the whole apartment smelled delicious.  I've been feeling homesick, and good soup is always really comforting.

I'm like Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom, if she had a crock
pot and Walmart.

Dumb Walmart was totally out of vegetable broth, and it's expensive anyway when they have it, so I used all water.  Next time I might spring for the broth, because the soup tasted pretty bland until I added a stupid amount of salt.

The best part?  All the ingredients came to less than $10, and I got a LOT of soup out of it.

So much soup!

Sorry for the short entry.  I'm in a mood.  Maybe all that trans fat was keeping me jolly.

It clogs up your arteries so the negativity can't leak
through!

2 comments:

  1. Try bouillon cubes for your vegetable broth. They aren't as instant as a carton of the pre-made stuff, but they have less sodium and contain fewer questionable ingredients. Also, you get 16 cups of broth out of a $2.50 box of cubes.
    -Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another option for cheaper veggie broth is to save the cast off bits of the fresh veggies you use (carrot ends, leafy ends of celery, broccoli stems, etc.) in a bag in the freezer, and one day when you're not busy, dump those in water and boil it down to nothing, skimming the foam off every hour or so. Tada! Stock.

    ReplyDelete