"Come along inside... We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
Kenneth Grahame

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Make your own frozen pizza

I like pizza.

That may not be the best way to word that.  I think I eat more pizza than any person I've ever met.  At least at school, I usually have some form of pizza every day, even if it's a couple pizza rolls at night when I'm doing homework (watching TV.)

God I sound fat.

Last semester, my roommate and I got in the habit of splitting these little frozen pizzas.  I think they were Totino's brand.  Whatever kind costs like, $1 at Walmart.

Those pizzas have less than no nutritional value.  They actually have trans fat.  Seriously?  What food even has trans fat anymore?  Absolutely ridiculous.

Part of my plan for Operation: B.B.B (see previous post) involved cutting back on pizza and potatoes.  Seriously--I eat so much of both those things that cutting them out of my diet as much as possible amounts to me being on a diet.  I accept me for who I am.  I accept me for who I am.  I accept me foDEAR GOD MY LIFESTYLE IS DISGUSTING.

I've been doing good on the potato front.  I had some chips earlier this week, but I justified it because they came after the worst bio lab of my entire life.  They were "Congratulations for not punching that chick in the face" chips.  The best kind.

Pizza, however, is another story.  I knew from day one that I could not keep myself from pizza.  Pizza's siren song curdles my Italian blood until all reason disappears.  I crave pizza the most at night, which is where those frozen pizzas came into my life.

I created a combat plan.  I made my own frozen pizzas.

BLANKET'S FROZEN PIZZAS
Ingredients:
Those healthy 100-calorie high-fiber Thomas' English muffins
Tomato sauce
Part-skim mozzarella cheese
Whatever you want on top
Lots of tin foil

I decided to make my pizzas with peppers and onions on top, so I started by cutting up my vegetables.  While doing this, I discovered the coolest pepper I've ever seen in my entire life.

It's like that thing!  From that movie!

Yep.  I found a creepy mutant pepper with a freaky unborn siamese twin growing inside it.  And just in case you wanted to try to rain on my parade and call that normal, guess what?  I've grown peppers before.  And that's not how it works.  It's called science.


Now you feel dumb.

Anyways, I cut up my vegetables, including that freaky mutant twin thing.  I haven't noticed any side effects from eating it except that sometimes, when I get really angryHULK SMASHHHHHHHHHH.

Whoops!  Sorry guys!  And whoever has to fix that door!

Gahd, I'm so funny.

Then I cooked up my peppers and onions in a little olive oil until they got soft and nice.

And slimy.

Open your english muffins and lay them out on a baking sheet covered with tin foil.  Put whatever sauce you like on them.  I think I used Great Value "Garden Vegetable."

They should just write "You know you can't justify
spending more!" on the jar.

Add cheese and toppings to your liking.

Ta da!

Freeze them for an hour or two, so that they aren't all sloppy, then take them out and package them individually in foil.

They've taken over my freezer.

I cook them at 450º for about 10-15 minutes, depending on what my oven feels like doing that day.  I like to just cook them right on the foil and not get a baking pan dirty, but it's up to you.  I don't think these can be more than 100 calories each.

Also, they taste super delicious and are way cheap.

Enjoy, my fellow poor pizza-loving health-conscious kids!

2 comments:

  1. The only time I've seen Mutant Siamese Peppers, they've come from grocery stores.

    That probably says something about the chemicals and GE treatments even the "safe" food is going through if seeds will germinate inside the pod before any kind of decay is noticeable on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT IDEA! So excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete